STUDENT-CENTERED LEARNING THROUGH MASTERY
THE TRADITIONAL TIME-BASED SYSTEM OF EDUCATION, where advancement is based largely on seat time rather than the true acquisition of skills and knowledge, has become inadequate for meeting the needs of all students. Credits, advancement, and diplomas that are based on seat time, barely passing grades, or a tenuous command of subject material create mixed messages for students and families.
Mastery Education challenges and changes how students are taught in the following ways:
- Learning is tailored to a student’s strengths and interests
- Students learn at their own, optimal pace
- Students demonstrate mastery of individual skills throughout the process of learning about a subject
- Teachers will have the tools to meet each student where they are in the learning process
- Diplomas will truly represent that a graduate is prepared with the knowledge and skills to succeed after graduation